1 increase in size, volume or significance; "Her terror was magnified in her mind" [syn: magnify]
2 to enlarge beyond bounds or the truth; "tended to romanticize and exaggerate this `gracious Old South' imagery" [syn: overstate, exaggerate, overdraw, hyperbolize, hyerbolise, magnify] [ant: understate]
4 increase the volume of; "amplify sound" [also: amplified]
PronunciationIPA: WEAE /ˈæmp.lɪ.faɪ/
- To render larger, more extended, or more intense, and the like;—used especially of loudspeakers, telescopes, microscopes, etc.
- In the context of "transitive|rhetorical": To enlarge by addition or discussion; to treat copiously by adding particulars, illustrations, etc.; to expand; to make much of.
- To increase the amplitude of something, especially of an electric current.
to enlarge rhetorically
- Finnish: laajentaa
to increase amplitude
- Finnish: vahvistaa
Amplification may refer to:
- The operation of an amplifier, a natural or artificial device intended to make a signal stronger.
- Amplification (rhetoric), a figure of speech that adds importance to increase its rhetorical effect.
- Amplification (psychology) in which physical symptoms are affected by psychological state.
- Amplification (molecular biology), a mechanism leading to multiple copies of a chromosomal region within a chromosome arm.
- The DNA amplification technique of the polymerase chain reaction (PCR) in molecular biology, a laboratory method for creating multiple copies of small segments of DNA.
amplify in German: Amplifikation
amplify in French: Amplification
amplify in Dutch: Amplificatie
amplify in Polish: Amplifikacja
add to, agent provocateur, aggrandize, aggravate, annoy, augment, ballyhoo, bloat, blow up, boost, broaden, build, build up, bulk, bulk out, burlesque, caricature, carry too far, charge, complete, crescendo, deepen, descant, detail, deteriorate, develop, dilate, distend, draw the longbow, elaborate, electrify, embellish, embitter, embroider, energize, enhance, enlarge, enlarge upon, enter into detail, evolve, exacerbate, exaggerate, exalt, exasperate, expand, expatiate, explicate, extend, fatten, fill out, galvanize, generate, go into, go to extremes, heat up, heighten, hike, hike up, hot up, huff, hyperbolize, increase, inflate, intensify, irritate, jack up, jump up, labor, lay it on, lengthen, loop in, magnify, make acute, make much of, make worse, maximize, overcharge, overdo, overdraw, overestimate, overpraise, overreach, overreact, oversell, overspeak, overstate, overstress, parlay, particularize, pile it on, plug in, provoke, puff, puff up, pump, pump up, put up, pyramid, raise, rarefy, rehearse in extenso, relate at large, sharpen, shock, short, short-circuit, sour, spell out, step down, step up, stiffen, stretch, stretch the truth, sufflate, supplement, swell, switch off, switch on, talk big, talk in superlatives, thicken, tout, travesty, turn off, turn on, unfold, up, widen, work out, worsen